Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Onsenitis

Yesterday I went to an onsen, or a traditional Japanese hot bath. Aided by a team of eager to help high school girls and hotel staff, I found the place after an hour or so of stumbling around in the rain. Took off my shoes, paid my four hundred yen, got nekkid, and got stared at by all the Japanese guys. You sit on this tiny little stool and give yourself a bath out of these faucets on the floor--kind of like a bucket bath for those of you who:ve been to Guyana. When you:re clean you proceed to the hot tub, which has this mineral water piped in from somewhere that is brownish in color and approximately two hundred degrees--Japanese dudes sit in like it is the most relaxing thing in the world. Dry off and on to the coin-operated massage chair from 1910 for ten minutes of shaking and baking, and it was Sapporo time.

Kampaii!

2 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Wow, I don't know if I could get naked with strangers, of course, I don't think women are allowed to get naked with strangers in Japan. That's more of a European thang! :)
Interesting blog!

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,
I went to a bath in Budapest this summer and had much the same experience. I was the youngest person there by 40 years, and after going through the mineral water baths, steam rooms, hot tubs, cold water tubs, and saunas, I never felt more refreshed in my life. And then I saw Kelsey Grammer walking across a bridge. That was an awesome day. How's the sake? Rouck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home