Monday, June 20, 2005

Big Shot Bob

I tuned in for the end of the NBA finals game last night. Robert Horry was insane. He scored all the points at the end of the game, launched his groin into some Piston's face on a monster OT dunk, and, of course, nailed the winning 3 with six seconds left. I hardly ever watch pro hoops anymore, but this was a finale worth watching even if the boring ol' Spurs won. Particularly insightful were the following observations about Horry on espn.com:

Lord knows I've written about him enough times. I once compared him to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, explaining that "Nobody ever talks about him, but he's always there when you need him, just like the Peebee and Jay." I compared him to Nate Dogg, John Cazale and every other famous person who flew under the radar screen but always ended up in good situations. When someone asked me in a recent mailbag whether I would have Horry's career (multiple rings and rich) or Barkley/Malone's careers (no rings and obscenely rich), I opted for Horry's career (and didn't even think twice). Imagine playing on five (soon to be six) championship teams, ending up with a cool nickname, making $50 million, earning the everlasting respect of everyone who ever played with or against you … and you didn't have to deal with any of the superstar BS? Have a great game, everyone notices you. Have a terrible game, nobody notices you. And that's your life. Doesn't that sound like the ultimate gig?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home