Monday, August 29, 2005

Burning Consumerism

I'm going to Burning Man this week. For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept (which kind of includes me), Burning Man is a festival in the middle of the Nevada desert featuring huge art installations, weird experiences and, presumably, lots of nudity.

Most importantly, however, Burning Man requires bringing all you own stuff. Food, shelter, water, etc - nothing is provided, and there is no money at the camp. (Highly ironic in my opinion, as tickets to this thing cost $250.) I hate camping largely because of the need to bring everything - I'm always looking for something, I'm never comfortable, nature isn't a big enough payoff. We'll see how Burning Man turns out.

Anyway, yesterday was one of those hell days of shopping that Americans have to endure a few times a year. I hit Costco, Foods Co, Safeway, a bunch of dollar stores, a bunch of thrift shops. I bought 45 gallons of water, four rolls of duct tape, two sun umbrellas, and a crapload of Budweiser. Sunday was a busy day at all the stores -- I felt like I was moving in a herd, and I also got that creepy feeling I get in Las Vegas -- too much capitalism!

Which again is ironic given Burning Man's anti-capitalism utopian mission. Full report to follow.

6 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now this is what i call a great blog. wow

I have a website on scotch whiskey site. It pretty much covers scotch whiskey related stuff.

You are welcome to check it, if you have time.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excellent Blog site you've provided.
Want Advise and Information About Used Car Prices.
And Save Time Looking For Used Car Prices The Fact and Information?

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

The Spam Fairy has attacked again.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Matt Stewart said...

speaking of superconsumerism, we get spammers!

irony just makes itself sometimes.

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw 11 comments on the Burning Man thing, I thought you touched a nerve.

Dude, some blogs prevent spammers by having to type in the verification word that is on billing websites. It seems to work.

You should try that.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Matt Stewart said...

I dunno if I can, as this is a free blog.

also, it's kind of cool to have 13 posts. Makes me feel popular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home