Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Too Much Democracy

It's October, which must mean there's an election coming up in California. California is a unique state in that we have a ridiculously overgrown initiative process which presents important funding questions directly to voters. In theory, this is kind of a nice idea that hearkens back to direct Athenian democracy, when most shmoes could wander down to the pnyx and weigh in on the latest goat-herding policy. When I first moved here, I was excited to have a say in direct action that would affect my life.

Not anymore. Arnold foisted this latest special election on us because he can't get anything done the old fashioned way -- through debate and compromise. I can't pay attention to him any more, but I do know that he's trying to screw the nurses and teachers and unions, that the election's gonna cost the state something like $200 million, and as a still-kicking Democrat I plan to vote against everything he put up there.

(This is a retreat on my part, as I actually had some optimism for Arnold when he started out. He was fresh, with reasonable social policies and a Shriver in his bed. Since then he's vetoed gay marriage, hasn't fixed the budget, and tried to cheat Californians out of their lunch breaks.)

But honestly, there is way too much on the ballot for me to make sense of. A few things are simple -- Prop F in San Francisco wants to keep the firehouses open. Duh. But so many of these propositions are convoluted, politically driven initiatives with complex histories. I'm a smart guy, but I don't care enough to do exhaustive research on the details of what these bills will actually accomplish.

The best examples of this nonsense are Props 78 and 79. Prop 78 proposes to revamp the prescription drug system and save taxpayers money. Prop 79 proposes to revamp the prescription drug system and save taxpayers money. Prop 78 is supported by the drug companies (profit motive but efficient and real-world ready); Prop 79 appears to be supported by other groups (inefficient and bloated but maybe more well-intentioned).

WHY AM I BEING ASKED TO MAKE THESE DECISIONS?!

This is why we hire politicians, to wade through the crap for us. I have more interest and energy in politics than 99% of my fellow citizens, and still it's hard. Can't I just have Nancy Pelosi handle all this for me?

4 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting you would say that...around here the thoughts on "too much democracy" seem to be mixed. Some think you silly Californians want to vote on so many things that you can't even take you dog on a walk without voting on what streets are dog walking streets. Yet others think you really get your tax dollar's worth and that it makes people get more involved in the political process rather than sitting on the sidelines.

Personally, when I think of how there are more dunces that logical people in this country, I shy from wanting "the people" to be involved in too much for their own good.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Matt Stewart said...

it IS cool to be involved in the political process. the problem is that these issues are very complicated and there's too much complex, confusing fine print to make a clear-headed decision. Too many times when I'm voting I say "what the hell!" and just pick a side randomly because I have no idea. and I've done the research!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

I still don't really get why this election is considered special. Don't we always have Election Day on the first Tuesday in November? Was there nothing to vote on, so Arnold just decided to put up some propositions? Democracy is so confusing.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger b said...

Why is it that being a democrat means voting against any republican ideal with a blanket "no"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home