Monday, December 20, 2004

Aviate

I made a rare appearance at the movie theater last weekend. Many of you who know me are well aware of my preference for DVDs, as they provide close-to-the-same video and audio enjoyment of a film without pesky loud other people and the social pressure to be clothed and with unlimited time out for bathroom and snack breaks at a fraction of the cost. A win-win situation by all.

But I hustled down to the theater on Friday to see The Aviator, the latest Scorsese film starring Leo. Now, I've never liked a Leo film before, and I hated Gangs of New York. But I loved The Aviator. It's a biopic of Howard Hughes, of whom I knew virtually nothing aside from the medical center. But he's a fascinating guy who lived an exciting life--never a dull moment. And, of course, he went crazy--some of the less believable scenes were the crazy scenes, but I think it's tough for Leo to pull off any role in which he's supposed to look over 15.

The true barometers of this film's success: it was three hours long, and I was surprised it was over--I was engrossed, and I generally can't stand long movies. Also, Colin Stewart disliked it, and if Colin doesn't like a movie it's gotta be good!

1 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in my defense, I only saw about half an hour of Donnie Brasco and was sick at the time. But I stand by my assertion that I didn't like what I saw.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home