Saturday, April 16, 2005

Yee-Haw!

Last night I escaped from the conference prison camp and visited the Mesquite Rodeo. I've been to many rodeos before, but this one was probably the best. Highlights include:

-Rodeo clowns running up a barrel and LEAPING over a frolicking bull
-The $10,000 challenge, in which a 21 year old cowboy who'd suffered a massive head injury several years ago held on for eight seconds to a bull that had never been ridden by anyone before.
-The sheep rides, in which little kids held on to sheep for as long as they could before falling off and getting (lightly) trampled
-The PA announcer asking all visitors to Texas to stand up, and for all Texans to take off their hats and give us a warm howdy and welcome to "God's Country!"
-When I briefly mistook a rodeo mannequin for an actual person and stood up and screamed that a man was being trampled to death
-Beer for under $7 (but everything's cheap relative to SF)

I also had a chance to meet up with Steve Gibbons, a pal from college, who is not only newly married but the father of a 10-month year-old son. His name?

What else?

Matthew!

2 Comments:

At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, greatest comment from Steve Gibbons only one moment after meeting me and seeing a pile of mulch on my driveway - "I think a dinosaur pooped on your driveway!"

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, yeah. You haven't lived until you've seen a rodeo. I've been to a few in my time, but the best one I saw was in Livermore (surprise!). Of course, there was trampling galore, but my favorite part was when a skydiver descended from the sky with a parachute decorated like an American flag. And, naturally, the speakers blared Lee Greenwood - "I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm FREEEEEE!" Oh, it was beauty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home