Monday, July 11, 2005

The Colors of Cities

To me, cities have a certain identifying colors, largely based on architecture and climate. New York is gray. San Francisco and Washington are white. Boston and Madrid are red (although Boston's a brick red and Madrid is a full, Spanish red). Los Angeles is yellow -- yellow air, yellow sand. Seattle is green, Tokyo black.

I wonder if that affects people somehow. I love living in white, warm-colored San Francisco because it makes me feel new and fresh; New York makes me feel more serious and a little dirty. In Los Angeles I've always felt a little stuck (yellow light?), whereas green Seattle feels beautiful, isolated, and irrelevant (rural?). Boston feels formal while Madrid felt HOT (but I was there in the summer).

I bet somebody somewhere has done a study on this...

2 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Matt Stewart said...

dude I didn't see the sun for a week. black.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always saw san francisco as orange, the cable cars, the bridge ... but agreed that it does make a person feel nice and clean!

how about a compromise - ivory?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home