Tuesday, July 19, 2005

My New Favorite Columnist

E.J. Dionne wrote an interesting piece in the Washington Post today declaring that Democrats and liberals don't flaunt the successes of their programs enough. Ain't that the truth? I can remember Bill Clinton's standard stump speech (11 million new jobs, 100,000 more police on the streets, better health care, etc) and remember thinking: wow, this is WORKING.

Two thoughts on that:
1. If Bill Clinton's way works so well, why do people vote the other way? Fear? Religion? Lower taxes? Drugs?
2. The government needs to be more user friendly. We should be able to do our taxes online directly and not have to pay an outside source. Working through the CNS (INS) shouldn't be a pain in the ass. People shouldn't fear the DMV. Those are the rare instances in which most people actually interact with the government, and when we get the slack-jawed unhelpful idiot on our case it reinforces the image that the government is huge, dumb and inefficient.

Actually, this year I had a question about my taxes and I called the IRS. I was on hold for a long time, but when I actually got somebody she was very nice and thorough and helped me figure things out. Then again, she might have been singing a different tune if I told her about the crack and hookers ring I'm running down in the basement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home