Thursday, October 06, 2005

As Much as I Love Free Internet

How the hell is it a priority? This article makes a great point -- why waste government time and money worrying about Internet access when we've got so many other problems?

I'll never forget in high school when they put a freeze on buying new textbooks for three years while the Global Access program was implemented to provide an Internet-wired computer in every classroom. The only thing I ever did on those computers was to look up 2Pac lyrics one time when I got detention for being three seconds late to class because I was finishing up a test in the class before it. However, the Soviet Union remained prominent in textbooks. It was a huge waste of money, clearly--why can't Google use their cash for something useful, like a big Halloween party or paying my rent, and then writing the whole thing off for tax purposes?

Seriously, I agree with the free Internet advocates in that there's something to be said for being the first and leading the way, but shouldn't we do that with education or crime instead of Internet access?

1 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU. I wholeheartedly agree. I used to work for a private academy that had no computers, and those kids were forced to read books.

You would not believe how much it costs to make a textbook. I was involved with the production of a Calculus textbook, and I was floored when I saw what my old company was able to charge. It's a real racket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home