Monday, January 09, 2006

50 or Bust

There's a 50 book challenge floating around out there for 2006, and I've decided to throw my hat in the ring. Reading fifty books in a year isn't that hard, I don't think - when you break it down, it's less than a book a week. Granted, that's about 48 books more than your average American reads in a year, but I remain confident that I'm 25 times as literary savvy as your average American too.

There are several keys to success here. One is cutting down the television. As I only have five channels and there's usually nothing on, that's not hard. (NOTE: even with cable or satellite, I still believe there's usually nothing on television, with the benefits of broadcast-only being that I realize this faster because there are fewer channels to check, plus I save $50-100 a month). Another is reading short books. Again, I usually read a bunch of short books a year, because after finishing a 500-pager it's satisfying to burn something in a day or two ain't it? Also, quitting bad books is essential too, as those never get read and tend to kill momentum.

So far, I'm three down, 47 to go:
Close Range by Annie Proulx (Brokeback Mountain's in there, and lived up to the hype)
The March by E.L. Doctorow (a few outstanding scenes, but generally I found the review "a scrapbook of cliches" apt)
Time's Arrow by Martin Amis (the narrator is trapped inside the body of a Nazi doctor who escapes to the US - but time runs backwards for him, from death to birth. It's a one-trick pony but refreshingly short at 163 pages and the language is mesmerizing. The 2006 winner thus far.)

Any suggestions? I'd like to hear about off-beat relatively unknown authors/works in particular, stuff I wouldn't find out about through newspapers or PR.

4 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

I think I have over 500 channels and there's never anything on. Unless you want to watch Law and Order or Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkahban for the umpteenth time.

I'm always looking for a new book to read, so I'll be checking your list for ideas. :)

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound crazy, but two great sport books are Friday Night Lights (the movie is awful, the book full of small country town political and social dynamics) and Bootleggers Boy (the Barry Switzer biography...and yes, his dad was a bootlegger)

They are both half sports and half american culture in the south. You might find them very interesting.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Matt Stewart said...

gibbons, thanks for the suggestions but maybe you should lay off the Texas football theme for a little bit. I mean, they can't even make the playoffs in that state!

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gym reading (= it can't be too heavy) lately has been David Sedaris's "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim." Awful title, but so funny that I fell off the gym bicycle laughing. It's better than his other books, and flies by - it would take less than a week to read this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home