Friday, August 13, 2004

The Gayest Gym in the Universe

It's official: I belong to the Gayest Gym in the Universe. 24 Hour Fitness on Market Street is right in the middle of the Castro--for those of you not familiar with San Francisco, that's the center of gay life in the city, and basically the United States.

Going to a gym with a lot of gay people doesn't bother me a lick. The gym's convenient, there's a garage and a bike rack, all the gay guys are polite, and I have a great deal on membership. Despite a little too much techno on the PA and the occasional gratuitous nudity in the locker room, it's been a nice run.

Except when I see people kissing on the workout floor. Absolutely disgusting. I've NEVER seen people kissing in a gym ever before--throughout college, back at my parents' gym in Maryland, assorted gyms around San Francisco where I exploited free trial passes. But at the 24 Hour Fitness on Market Street, I've encountered 2 recent tongue-kisses: boy-boy and girl-girl. The boy-boy kiss was by the locker room door, and the girl-girl kiss was between sets on a machine. BETWEEN SETS! I could barely lift a 30-pound dumbbell watching that, much less complete a set. I like girl-on-girl action just as much as the next guy, but please: save it for home video!

Let me make myself clear: I don't want to see ANYBODY kissing on the workout floor. The workout floor is for working out, not smoochieboochies. There are many establishments in the Castro and points elsewhere appropriate for kissing, gay or straight. 24 Fitness is not one of them.

Don't even get me started on the 10-months pregnant woman gymaholic who thinks it's okay to wear only a sports bra and spandex pants out there...just imagine a basketball strapped onto an anorexic woman and you'll get the idea...

2 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger soce said...

I'm not crazy about PDAs in general, although it's the man/woman PDAs that bother me much more than male/male PDAs.. I'm less crazy about woman/woman PDAs. So.. do guys hit on you in the showers?


forever yours, socetew

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Steve Cleary said...

Too much techno? When do they ever play techno? Every time I go to that gym, they're playing the same latest commercial Blink 182 Top 40 crap pop. At least with electronic music and trance you can concentrate on your workout. 24H-on-Market is a GAY GYM, and that means they should play nothing but TRANCE, HOUSE, or any other form of up-tempo ELECTRONICA. I suggest if you want to listen to The Scorpions' "Rock You Like a Hurricane" while your doing your bench presses, go to the one in Manteca with all the other meat-heads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home