Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Kicking Out 2004

2004 was a bad year. Bush won. Iraq continues. A tsunami kills more people by the second in Asia. There was little in the way of memorable music or movies. My car was broken into several times. Michael Jackson appears to be headed for jail. The Redskins stink and Joe Gibbs calls plays like an old geezer. I worked for a criminal and a liar for most of the year.

It's time to move on.

But before we toss 2004 aside like the cheap, unfulfilling fling that it is, I'm rolling out the best of 2004, for me personally and for the rest of you folks too.

2004 Was a Banner Year for Travel
I went to Boston, New York, DC, Rome, Florence, Pienza, Siena, Pisa, Venice, Tokyo, Yokohama, Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Area 51, Tahoe, Rosarito, Santa Cruz, Capitola, Mendocino, Fort Bragg--and that's all I can remember off the top of my head. Amazing, amazing voyages.

2004 Was a Good Year Not to Go to Law School
I am pretty sure that I would hate life if I had gone as planned.

2004 Was a Good Year for the Red Sox
Too bad most of their fans are loud and obnoxious.

And now for my personal Best of lists..
(Note: not all these movies, films, music came OUT in 2004, but I experienced them for the first time this year)

Best Book
The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. I was skeptical when I read the boring-seeming back cover, but I couldn't put this one down. What writing! It's everything a book should be, and covers up some questionable plot decisions--but I didn't care. The writing was just that good. If you've seen the movie (I haven't, but I've heard it's bad), give the book a shot.

Best Movie
Cold Mountain. I had no expectations for this one, but I really enjoyed it. There are a few overly stereotyped characters, but the story is very well done, and Jude Law and Nicole Kidman were outstanding. The Aviator was very good too, but I honestly don't think either of them were as good as last year's selection. But that's 2004 for you: sucky.

Best Music
Usher is the only bright spot on a dark, typhoon of a year. Burn is easily the best song of the year. Even though my car stereo was stolen, I haven't missed all the stinky music (except for NPR and my boys at KPOO).

Best Sports Moment
Peyton Manning's offensive explosion. This guy loves football and is unstoppable. It's a privilege to watch this kind of magic on television - and he calls his own plays!

Best Political Move
Dick Cheney's position on gay marriage. I hate the guy, but it was a stand-up thing to do, and took a lot of guts considering his constituency. That a Republican made this list shows you how wishy-washy national scale Democrats are - at least this guy says what he really thinks.

Best Girlfriend
Karla!!!!

more to come, as I think it up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home