Friday, February 25, 2005

Where Is This Man?


I'm sick today, and I've been fiending to see Mr. 3000 for a long time. It's got such a great sick day premise - simple plot, dumb jokes, and 90 minutes of Bernie Mac making fun of white people. Yet for the third straight visit to the video store, Mr. 3000 has not been in the house. I grilled the clerk to see if there were any secret/just returned but not put out copies, and he informed me that they only have one copy of Mr. 3000 total.

One copy? This is Bernie Mac we're talking about, the Eddie Murphy of the decade. They need to have more than one copy. I love my video store, and they always give my dog a treat when I'm there, but this nonsense needs to stop.

I got Stuck on You instead, which looks stupid enough to do the trick. Last weekend I picked up Ray instead of Mr. 3000, which was vastly overrated. Call me crazy, but I don't think it's hard to act like Ray Charles--just bump into things and move your torso around uncontrollably. Not much nuance to it. Also, the movie focused too much on drugs and womanizing, which are stories we've heard many times before. What about the unique parts of Ray Charles's life -- being blind and learning how to play piano? How did he get his start? Those sections were the best and badly underdone. The music scenes were great, and Ray Charles does have an amazing story -- this movie could have been incredible. Which, in the end, is what made the actual product so disappointing.

All this typing is making me tired. Back to sleep.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

What's really sad is that I saw Mr. 3000 in a theater. Haven't seen Ray, but I still contend that they killed off Ray Charles somehow. I have no proof of course, but his death seems a little too coincidental...

The question is, would the movie have been as popular had he not died?

Another thing I wonder is how Jamie Foxx's Ray Charles compares to the version John Belushi did on SNL. I guess that was a Ray Charles/Beethoven combo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home