Saturday, April 29, 2006

"I want these motherfucking snakes off the motherfucking plane!"

Have you heard about this new movie Snakes on a Plane? Apparently a bunch of blogs caught wind of the title while the film was in development, loved it, and started a maelstrom of support for the movie (which stars Samuel L. Jackson), even going so far as to create fake trailers and ads for the movie. Wikipedia

Fan support grew so rabid that when they found out Snakes on a Plane was going to be A) PG-13 and B) renamed Pacific Air Flight 121 they went absolutely bonkers and demanded that they not change the name. In response, Samuel L. Jackson reportedly said, "We're totally changing that back. That's the only reason I took the job: I read the title."

In another unprecedented move, the studio filmed an extra five days to add more gore, sex, and profanity. Most importantly, the fans demanded that Samuel L. Jackson say:

"I want these motherfucking snakes off the motherfucking plane!"*

Which they did. Awesome.

This is a classic case of a stupid high-concept movie working. I talked with a Hollywood exec recently who told me my screenplay was doomed because people couldn't figure out what it was about from the title, a la Wedding Crashers, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, Dodgeball, etc. (The other way comedies get made, he told me, is that the writer is friends with Ben Stiller or Adam Sandler.) Snakes on a Plane is, admittedly, perfect.

*This is usually a family blog, but I make exceptions for Samuel L. Jackson quotes

1 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Blogger Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

A movie so stupid, it must be watched.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home