Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Why I Support High Gas Prices

So Americans would stop behaving like idiots with their car purchases and energy habits.

I've lived in Guyana and Spain, and in both places I was regularly reprimanded for leaving the lights on when I wasn't in a room. In the U.S., people leave lights on all the time, leave the TV on all day, leave the car running, and subsequently screw the planet. It needs to change.

People will only turn to fuel-efficient cars when economic necessity drives them there. Let's jack up the fuel prices.

(Note to self: buy stock in Shell!)

4 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

I seriously considered buying stock in an oil company, but realized I'd rather be able to sleep at night.

You're right about the whole people acting like the gas price issue is no big deal. Someone in my office actually said that they hadn't looked at gas prices in the past three years.

All I know is that I've gotten to the point where I think twice about any trip in the car that is outside of my daily commute to/from work. I will put off going to the store until absolutely necessary.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Matt Stewart said...

actually Chevron was interested in hiring me for something a few months back. while they pay well and their benefits are fantastic, I couldn't come to terms with raping the earth for a living.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly, because making rash generalizations because of other people's choices that you dont agree with makes you feel really good inside.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasnt trying to be anonymous - i just hate that stupid word verification.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home