Thursday, November 17, 2005

Pour Out a Lil' Liquor

I knew something was up in my neighborhood when, riding my bike to work yesterday, I saw police tape sealing off one of the entrances to Golden Gate Park. I read that there was a shooting in the paper, and on the way home a bunch of kids were gathered along my route home, lining forty bottles with candles in them along one of the roads -- it looked really nice, spiritual even.

Then I read this morning that the guy was killed about 15 minutes after I'd passed by the exact spot on my ride home from work on Tuesday. His mistake? Helping a woman who was being robbed.

Basically, this is another sad reminder that helping people in distress ain't worth it. Sure am happy it wasn't me, though.

2 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think it's not worth it to help people in distress? So if you see an old lady being robbed or a womn being raped, it's alright to walk by? Superman would be ashamed of you. - Colin

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Matt Stewart said...

definitely not worth it to get killed when a stranger's getting robbed, I think you'll agree. pat rial will remember the time he got stuck up and I kept walking -- don't regret it either. but pat wisely gave the guy his wallet rather than put up a fight with a gun in his gut.

by the way, that's an unfair comparison: superman's made of steel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home