Sunday, December 11, 2005

Twilight Day

I got up this morning and, after mulling over possible physical activities for the day, decided to go to Orinda for a bike ride. Orinda is an East Bay suburb with no defining characteristics other than pretty good biking (at least, that's what my guidebook of San Francisco area bike rides says!). I never verified that point, because I forgot my cycling shoes which means I couldn't clip into my tiny little pedals which means I couldn't go. I did have a nice drive in though, aside from all the dropped cell phone calls.

Then I hopped in the car and soon discovered the best thing about Orinda -- cheap gas! $2.15 at Shell AND Chevron. Fire up the SUVs baby!

On the mopey drive home, I spotted a Mazda 323 hatchback on the Bay Bridge. It looked oddly familiar, and I drew closer. The license plate...the tell-tale dent in the side...the tell-tale smaller-but-still-visible dent in the other side..the parking permit...the fuzzy dice may have been gone, but that was my old car, sold back in July, still street-worthy! The brakes hadn't gone out on the new owner after all! A new timing belt perhaps had been installed, the oil changed, the radiator flushed! Gotta say, seeing that old car of mine made my wistful for a second, but then I turned up the radio on my seven speakers, rolled open the sunroof, and zoomed on by with the flair of a 2005 model and that crappy piece of crap was soon little else than another speck in the rearview mirror.

On the way my brother called. He asked me if I wanted to play tennis. I said yes and offered to pick him up. Five minutes later he called back and said he had been ambushed by a severe headache. I asked him if he was actually busy washing his hair and couldn't think up a better excuse. (Okay, I asked him that one in my head, but at high volume.) Five minutes later he called me back and offered me a free microwave. I accepted, and altered my freeway entrance strategy for San Francisco so as to swing by his apartment. Five minutes later he called back and rescinded the microwave. I told him that he should have stuck with the headache story.

Got home, nothing to do. No motivation to write today, no pressing deadlines. So I picked up a book I'm reading by Don DeLillo, an alleged master novelist, and continued plugging away. All the characters were the same, the plot was unbelievable and boring, yet onwards I trudged. A hundred pages later I stopped and went to the movie store to pick up a recent, mediocre Will Ferrell movie.

Victory is mine!

2 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: White Noise. Agreed, the characters are dull and boring. I think he knows that, so he has the profs debate each other in the middle. (But I think he should have made them different from the get-go.)

As for the plot, I always found the mysterious toxic event interesting!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Matt Stewart said...

the toxic event was interesting...but not enough to get through the rest. how many times can we read that humanity is killing the world, is inherently self-destructive, even if it's true? I needed more interesting characters and a more focused narrative to pull me along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home