Monday, September 20, 2004

Attack of the Lunatic Cyclists

So I'm riding my bike into work, stopped at a red light, when I see this bike messenger speeding down the street perpendicular to where I'm standing. He's going really fast, and barely slows down to turn right onto my street.

Surprise! There's another cyclist waiting in the left lane!

The bike messenger spun out of control and bit the dust, earning jeers from a couple of assholes in a stereo delivery van. The homeless crowd and myself went to see if the guy was okay, and fortunately he was (wear your helmet!). His first reaction, though, was to blame the other cyclist for stopping in the wrong lane.

Hold on there, feller! Sure, the guy shouldn't have been in the wrong lane, but he shouldn't have been cruising at 35 mph and turning without looking ahead. It was shaping up to be another example of the Blame Someone Else society we live in, but the bike messenger must have realized that he was the idiot and pretty much shut up after that. Most bike messengers (in my experience, at least) are hard core communists, and I'm sure when he realized that the at-fault party was merely some hippie on his way to work, not a negligent capitalistic corporate pig, he calmed down a little.

Then, ten blocks later, in the middle of Market Street, my blinking rear light fell off. Just like that, plop. I recovered the light, but not the missing screw....needless to say, I pedaled in at below-average speed after all that nonsense.

1 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger soce said...

Wow.. technology-- I usually just do hand-signals.. I should get some reflective clothing for when I rollerblade.

--eocs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home